Friday, July 10, 2009

PARTING WITH STARS

***note: this is one of the poems I wrote in high school for our poetry portfolio...I am posting this and others from that time (almost a decade ago) in the hopes of (a) showing my progress, (b) filling up the space, and (c) likely eliciting a few laughs***

The woman sat there weeping as
The night turned into day.
A yearning deep within her begged
The brilliant stars to stay.

Throughout the night she’d gazed in awe
And wonder at the sky,
But now, as dawn revealed itself,
She wept and knew not why.

“There’s something in those stars,” she sighed,
“That grand, celestial show—
I feel something like gratefulness
Whene’er I see them glow.”

But as the sun climbed higher up,
She saw the starlight fade.
“Oh please, don’t let me lose these now,”
The woman humbly prayed.

“I’ve lost too much already; I
Am feeling quite bereft.
If these You also take away,
Then I’ll have nothing left.”

A whisper from within her soul
Then made her heart to burn,
For though the stars would fade, she knew
The next night they’d return.

No comments:

Post a Comment