Friday, July 10, 2009

HINDSIGHT

***This poem was fashioned after a dream I had a while back, after a talk by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland about how "it will be all right in the end." In the dream I was living in the house I grew up in, in Battle Ground, Indiana, and on the living room floor was a quilt that was kinda like a cabbage patch--I was babysitting a dozen or so babies, each popping out of a separate quilt square. They were all too young to even stand up...probably around 6-7 months old. Most of them were sleeping, except this one that kept crying, so I went to pick the poor thing up--and realized it was me. Some freaky time thing happened, and I was holding myself, singing to myself, trying to comfort myself. This is the gist of the lullaby I was singing.***

Where you are, I’ve been down that road before.
The tears flow so freely you can’t keep them anymore.

When your heart breaks, when things don’t go quite the way you planned,
So many mistakes, and you just can’t understand

(chorus)
What he said, and what she did,
And how they forgot, and why you were denied.
What you want, and what we all need
Is a good laugh, and a good cry.
When life throws you curveballs,
And it seems like these four walls
Are closing in, the air’s too thin,
Can’t think or breathe or see,
Just remember, please (remember, please, remember, please)…
It’s worth the fight. Hold on tight.
Everything’s gonna be all right.
How do I know?
Hindsight.

Maybe nobody else will ever see
The spectacular I see in you,
But someday you’ll discover all that you are
And you will see it in yourself, too…

And isn’t that all that really matters, anyway?

You’ve got the seeds of greatness
Planted deep within your soul,
Don’t let the little things
Make you give up and lose control.

(chorus)

Believe in yourself. Believe in the heavens.
Believe that something good can happen, even to you.
Especially for you.
Believe that this moment is just a moment in time,
Don’t lose sight of all the hope that tomorrow brings.
Let these words ring true, let your heart sing.

It’s worth the fight. Hold on tight.
Everything’s gonna be all right.
How do I know?
Hindsight.

No comments:

Post a Comment