Friday, July 10, 2009

MARGARITA

***note: this is one of the poems I wrote in high school for our poetry portfolio...I am posting this and others from that time (almost a decade ago) in the hopes of (a) showing my progress, (b) filling up the space, and (c) likely eliciting a few laughs***

A little girl moved here from Mexico,
And Margarita was her given name.
I helped her get acquainted with the snow.

At first she acted timidly, as though
For having fun she ought to have felt shame,
But once she tasted it her face did glow.

She knew then what she’d always wished to know:
The feel of cold, and how the snow became
A tiny ball of crystals that would grow

Into a giant snowman that was so
Exquisite Margarita there proclaimed
Herself the master of that small fellow—

And as such felt the right thing to bestow
Upon that icy man, with perfect aim,
Was yet another ball of compact snow.

Her constant giggles made me smile, although
No words of happiness did I exclaim.
The silence between friends made friendship grow,
And though she didn’t speak, she knows I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment